MDOT - DTMB
Michigan Department of Transportation
Safety/Standards and Special Details
GeneralStandards, Special Details, Special Provisions, and Typical Plans of various Traffic and Safety items represent the current practices and policies of the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) on the State Trunkline Highway System. The drawings are produced for statewide use by the Department, counties, cities, and consultants and are used in conjunction with the Standard Specifications for Construction and other applicable specifications, policies and manuals.
DisclaimerThe information provided is a product of the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and is intended for your use and is not to be sold or otherwise distributed for profit. There are no expressed or implied warranties concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or usability of this information. The MDOT assumes no responsibility for any incorrect results or damage resulting from the use of this information. All users shall expressly hold MDOT harmless from any liability or loss due to a virus or any other computer or software generated problem associated with these files. The information presented in these documents has been prepared in accordance with recognized engineering principles and is for general use. It should not be used for specific application without competent professional examination and verification of its suitability and applicability by a licensed professional engineer.
Viewing InformationStandards, Special Details, and Special Provisions are available in portable document format (pdf). You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader software to read or print the Typical Plans. This software is free and may be downloaded from the Adobe Web site.
Maintaining Traffic Typicals are also available in MicroStation (dgn) format and are provided as a guidance template to be applied to a specific project for development.
Several of our customers have not been able to download our standards and details files from the web and have received an error saying "This is not a valid link". If you have a "saved" URL that contains "TandS", change to "tands" (Details_Web is ok in the URL). Make sure to clear your browser cache and delete any incorrect URLs from your Favorites.
Technical InformationFor information regarding the technical content of the following Business Areas contact:
Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
Traffic and Safety
Mission: Safety First, Safety Always.
Vision: Providing traffic safety services through a risk-based and data driven approach.
MDOT's Traffic and Safety section participates in all phases of the department's effort to reduce traffic crashes, fatalities and serious injuries, vehicle delay, fuel consumption, pollution, and operating costs, by increasing the safety, efficiency, and capacity of the state highway trunkline system.
- Responsible for the delivery of the Highway Safety Improvement Program.
- Track and analyze traffic crash trends to determine opportunities for improvement on the trunkline and local systems.
- Support development and delivery of the Strategic Highway Safety Plan.
- Develop, operate and maintain safety related software programs.
- Respond to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
- Develop and implement a five year freeway and non-freeway sign upgrading program.
- Review all 3R/4R design plans prepared by the department and their consultants for conformance to traffic signing standards.
- Provide technical expertise concerning freeway and non-freeway signing.
- Review, establish or modify speed limits, parking restrictions and stop determinations.
- Provide technical expertise concerning traffic regulations including traffic control orders.
- Coordinate an annual pavement marking program.
- Review all 3R/4R design plans prepared by the department and their consultants for conformance to pavement marking and delineation standards.
- Review existing pavement markings and delineation for adequacy.
- Provide technical expertise concerning pavement markings and delineation.